Who is eligible to participate in MVA?
- Anybody interested in growing their career can be a part of MVA.
- MVA courses and events are free, but you need to identify yourself using a Microsoft account in order to sign up for MVA and create your MVA profile.
- To sign up for MVA , on the MVA home page, MVA courses and events are free, but you need to identify yourself using a Microsoft account in order to sign up for MVA and create your MVA profile.
- There is no minimum level of technical expertise required.
Where can I send suggestions and feedback?
What are the benefits for me as a student?
As a student, you’ll be able to:
- Build the necessary skills to help grow in your professional career with Microsoft technologies. MVA offers over 200 expert-led courses across Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, virtualization, app development for HTML5, Windows and Windows Phone, Microsoft Office 365, SQL Server, Azure, and System Center.
- Learn for free and at your own pace. MVA has a number of features to help you pursue your training goals. You can create a personal learning plan, track your progress, earn certificates for course completions, and print your transcript.
- Make a name for yourself within the community of IT professionals and developers worldwide. As you work through courses, you accumulate points for your activity so you can see how you stack up against the top students in the MVA community.
How do I know what courses are on MVA?
- The MVA home page shows a recommended list of popular courses by topic.
- You can also view courses by pointing to Courses on the navigation bar and clicking a topic or product group to see all courses for that topic. Or click View All Courses to see the entire list of courses
- Use the Search bar to find a specific course or filter the list by a product or technology.
How do I request a new course?
In what order should I take the course modules?
We recommend you complete a course by taking the modules in the order in which they appear on the page. However, you can take modules in any order you prefer.
How do I complete a course and what benefits will I get?
- Click on each item of the course materials listed within each module.
- Read or view the videos, labs, and presentations and take the self-assessment if one is offered.
- Once you complete all the items in a course, you will be able to download a Certificate of Completion from your dashboard.
- You can earn points for all the learning actions you complete, as well as bonus points for completing a course.
How often can I repeat a self-assessment?
You may repeat a self-assessment on MVA an unlimited number of times, for as long as the course is offered, until you pass the exam. After you pass a self-assessment, you cannot retake or revisit it.
Can I enroll in more than one course?
Yes, you can enroll in several courses at a time, depending on availability.
What are the course levels associated with each course?
Course levels provide an indication of the targeted experience level of the intended audience, as follows:
- 100: Basic, entry-level courses targeting students, career changers, and technical managers. Prepares participants for an MTA certification.
- 200: Intermediate, application-level courses targeting IT pros or developers with 6-12 months experience. Prepares participants for the first exam or two of an MCSA certification.
- 300: Advanced, analysis and synthesis-level courses targeting IT pros or developers with over a year of experience. Prepares participates for the MCSE or MCSD certification.
- 400: Expert, evaluation-level courses targeting IT and dev experts with several years of experience.
How can I access a course given in a language not native to my home country?
If you're in a non-English speaking country and want to see the courses offered in English as well as your native language, do the following:
- Click the "View courses in English" link on any page that lists courses, to see both sets of courses.
If you're in any country and want to see the course listings in another language, do the following:
- If you're signed in to MVA, go to My Profile and, under Personal information, select a country in which the language is native.
- If you are not signed in to MVA, click the country displayed in the upper-right corner of the page (next to Sign in) and select a country in which the language is native.
Will Jump Starts and live events be available as recordings or on-demand courses?
We encourage you to attend live events and Jump Starts so you can interact directly with the experts and get your questions answered in real time. But if you have to miss a live session, you can watch it on demand at a later date. MVA events are usually available on demand two weeks after they are hosted live. This gives us time to edit the videos, prepare closed captions, and develop exams.
If a course I’ve completed gets updated, does that affect my recorded progress?
If you have completed a course which is later updated or given new learning material, your course progress will still show as 100% complete in your MVA Dashboard. You can earn additional points by viewing the updated course or new learning material.
Tracking your progress:
What information is available on My Dashboard?
My Dashboard helps you create learning plans and track your progress in MVA. Once you have registered with MVA, My Dashboard is your default page, which you’ll see whenever you sign in; it also appears in the top navigation bar when you’re signed in.
In the top part of the dashboard, you can access your personal profile and see your progress in terms of points earned, which determines your rankings in the MVA community, both worldwide and in your country. The progress bar shows your total points earned plotted against the membership levels indicated by the trophy icons (see the Earning points FAQs).
The tabs in the bottom part of the page help you create plans and track your course activity:
- On the My Learning Plan tab, you can view, add, and edit your learning plans (see the Learning Plan FAQs).
- On the Courses In Progress tab, you can view, rearrange, and delete courses you have not yet completed.
- On the Courses Completed tab, you can see the courses you’ve already completed. For each course you can download a Certificate of Completion, in PDF format. Click the Download transcript button to download a list of all your courses, both in progress and completed.
- On the Redeem Your Vouchers tab, you can redeem vouchers and see a list of the vouchers you’ve already redeemed. For example, your country or region may offer a voucher good for 50 extra points if you complete a course. When you complete the course they’ll give you a voucher code, which you’ll enter here to get the extra points.
How do I download a Certificate of Completion?
On your My Dashboard page, on the Courses Completed tab, you’ll see a list of all the courses you’ve completed. For each course listed, click the Download Certification of Completion icon to download a certification for that course, in PDF format.
What is My Learning Plan?
My Learning Plan is a way to keep track of the courses you’re interested in taking—it’s similar to adding items to your shopping cart. You add courses to a plan by clicking Add to my learning plan next to the course descriptions, whenever you find one you’re interested in. If you’ve created multiple learning plans, you can then select the plan you want to add the course to.
To access My Learning Plan you need to be a registered member of MVA. Once you sign in, you’ll see a list of your learning plans and the courses you’ve added to them in the My Learning Plan box on the right side of most pages. You can expand and collapse the plans to see the list of courses included in each, and you can click a course title to jump to the course details page.
How do I manage My Learning Plan?
Update My Learning Plan as follows:
1. Click My Dashboard in the top navigation menu.
2. On the My Learning Plan tab, you’ll see a list of your learning plans, and the courses you’ve added to each plan.
We have named the first plan “My Learning Plan” for you, just to get you started.
3. To make changes to your list, you can do any of the following:
- To create additional learning plans, click the Add New Plan button.
- To edit a plan name or remove the plan, click an icon to the right of the plan name.
- To change the order in which the plans are displayed, drag and drop a plan up or down in the list.
- To delete a course, expand the plan and click the X next to the course name.
- To change the order in which the courses are displayed, drag and drop a course up or down in the list.
What can I update on My Profile page?
You can change any of the information displayed in My Profile, with the exception of the email address you used to create your MVA account.
Note that under My links you can add up to 100 URLs that you own or that are important to you. Under Certifications, you can include both professional certifications you’ve earned through Microsoft and those you’ve earned from other sources.
Can I change my email ID?
To change your email address you will need to update it in your Microsoft account. If you experience a problem, you can get assistance in the MVA Community Forum. You can only have one MVA profile per Microsoft account.
What happens when I share my profile?
When you share your profile, your name is displayed in the MVA leader board if you are one of the top point earners. Other users will see your name and can see additional information about you by clicking on your name.
You have control over what information other users can view about you. In the Personal information section, select the “share” check box next to the information you want to make public. To display your name in the Top Student List, you must at least share your name.
What are MVA points and how can I earn points on MVA?
- MVA points are the points you earn by completing MVA eligible activities, such as watching a video, downloading a document, completing a self-assessment, or attending a live event.
- Eligible activities display the number of MVA points associated with completing the activity.
- Points can only be earned once per activity, regardless of the number of times the activity is completed or if the activity is completed in multiple languages.
- Points on a course can only be earned in a single language. If you take the course in another language, you only earn points in the first language used when you started the course.
- Taking a course multiple times in different languages will not result in multiple points.
- Calculations of points are at Microsoft’s sole discretion; point adjustments will be made when MVA members are found to have received points multiple times for the same course or have been erroneously credited.
- MVA points are available worldwide except for embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria).
- To redeem points, use the voucher code that you receive when you attend a Jump Start or a live event hosted by MVA. (The code is redeemable only for MVA points—not for any tangible items.) This code is either shown during the course or sent in an email in the days that follow. For on-demand courses, points are awarded when you view the associated learning materials and may not be updated right away. To redeem your voucher for MVA points, on your MVA Dashboard, click the Redeem Your Vouchers tab. In the Voucher code field, add the code and then click Redeem.
What are the membership levels and how many points are required for each?
MVA points determine your membership level in MVA and also can earn you a place on the leader board, both in your country and worldwide.
These are the MVA membership levels and the number of points required for each level:
- Bronze: 0 to 99 points
- Silver: 100 to 499 points
- Gold: 500 to 2999 points
- Platinum: 3000 points or more
How can I improve my ranking and climb up the leader board?
The number of points you accumulate determines your place on the leader board. Complete eligible activities to accumulate more points and be placed higher on the leader board.
How frequently is the leader board updated?
- The leader board is updated every business day.
- The “Top Students This Week” and “Top Students This Month” rankings are based on points earned in the current 30-day period and 7-day period, respectively. Leader board rankings are not updated right away. Unless you earn enough points to get on the leader board, you aren’t able to see your monthly or weekly MVA points ranking. The MVA support team does not reply to emails inquiring about leader board rankings.
Where can I see the list of top students?
- You can see the top three students, either globally or locally, on the right side of most pages.
- Click Top Students in the navigation bar to see the top 10 students in MVA and in your country, for the current week, the current month, or all time. These lists are updated each business day.
What are bonus points and how do I get them?
Bonus points are awarded every time you successfully complete all requirements for a course. This means you will have viewed all content and passed all self-assessments related to that course.
Recertifying on MVA:
How do I recertify on MVA?
You can keep select MCSE certifications up to date by passing all related assessments for a prescribed set of courses on Microsoft Virtual Academy. Check out the details and see which recertifications are available, on the Recertify with Microsoft Virtual Academy page.
What is a recertification badge?
A recertification badge is a digital representation of the skills path you completed on MVA to recertify your MCSE certification. Use your Microsoft account to sign in to DVLUP, and view your recertification badge.
Can I share my badge on LinkedIn?
You cannot yet share your badge on LinkedIn, but you can share it on Facebook and Twitter. Sign in to DVLUP with your Microsoft account, go to Settings, and link your Microsoft account to Facebook and/or Twitter.
I recertified by passing a recertification exam. Why don’t I get a badge?
A badge reflects the completion of a specific MVA path for recertification. If you have already passed your recertification exam but you would still like to earn a badge, you can do so by following the prescribed skills path on MVA.
Will other badges and recertification paths be available?
Other badges and recertification paths will be available in the future. We’re currently looking at which additional paths we will launch for certification through MVA and which badges will be coming next. Stay tuned for more information.
Will badges be available for anything other than recertification?
We’re looking into whether badges will be available for anything other than recertification, such as what they can play in our App to Cert program. Please stay tuned for more information.
Do I have to pay for this badge?
At this time, recertification badges through MVA are issued at no charge.
Where can I find someone who can answer my question?
Get your questions answered in the MVA Community Forum. It’s the place ask for help, report a problem and get advice.
My question isn’t about using the Microsoft Virtual Academy site. Where could I ask questions about the topic of the course I am taking?
Visit the MVA Community Forum! Read blog posts, follow topic threads, and join the conversation. Discuss the concepts and skills our courses address, stay up-to-date with technology enthusiasts, get support news, and more.